Monday, December 13, 2010

Another Chemo Treatment


       I am back in Carrollton for another treatment. I am now able to call the nurses by name. I recognize people who are on the same schedule as I am. We can share highs and lows with people who understand what is happening to us. I equate it to a visit to a funeral home. When someone expresses condolences with “I Understand” or “ I know how you feel”. No, you do not. I pray to GOD that you are never here.
Today, we started out with book work and vital signs , followed closely by “co-pay”. Speaking of pay, any idea what a chemo treatment costs? I will tell you at the end of this installment…make sure you are sitting down.
The nurses, as usual, did a splendid job in taking care of the patients. One nurse was off for the day so the nursing supervisor was working the floor. On a regular basis, they come by checking machines, changing drip bags. We got a little extra special treatment today because the brutal cold kept some patients away from their appointments. They brought coffee, drinks, cookies and had time to share personal info. That made the morning more tolerable.
The sharing of info might have had to do with me asking questions. I am a terrible flirt. My wife tolerates it. As a teenager, my daughter was horrified when I did it.
One thing I have become aware of is cancer does not care who it effects. I have talked to a retired university professor {cancer retired him}, a bank vice president, and the mother of a student I subbed for at Temple Elementary School. So, male, female, black, white, old, young…Cancer is an equal opportunity crippler.
I am very blessed because I have suffered none of the terrible side effects of chemo. For the next day or two I will be very tired, no energy. By GOD’S grace this will pass. You have to take the good out of each day and enjoy it.
 I came to the realization that I can sit in the house and mope around, feeling sorry for myself and let the tail wag the dog… OR I can be the dog and wag the tail. Proctor & Gamble, where I worked for almost two decades, beat into us: Lead, Follow, or Get the h*** out the way. “Let’s go’

Praise and glory to God.

OK, I hope you are sitting down. We received the doctors bill. 1 “one” chemo treatment cost $20,000.00. Have a blessed day.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible amount of money for one treatment! People complain about insurance companies, but for those of us who are fortunate enough to have some type of assistance....what a blessing! Always praying and thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete