Thursday, September 29, 2011

No News is, well...No News...

    Written by Wayne:


    Well, hello. It's been a while since I have sat down and put pen to paper, so to speak. Things are pretty much the same as the last time I wrote. Platelets are still low. One thing is different though: I have not had a treatment in almost 2 months. 
    It is very discouraging to drive all the way to the cancer treatment center, go through the process of having vitals taken each Monday, see the doctor and then be told no treatment. Both my GP doctor and the oncology team are worried about my mental state. During a regular visit to the GP I expressed my frustration at not getting treatments. He assured me my concerns were normal and if things got worse he could give me a mild sedative to ward off depression.
    Last Monday when I got the latest "no" in a series of "no's", the doctor's assistant walked Ann and me to the front desk. She told me they had medicine to help with the frustration. I declined her offer by saying between diabetes and cancer I felt that I had enough drugs in my body. I could have told her I am too simple minded and shallow of character to be depressed. Discouraged maybe, but never depressed.
    Not getting a treatment is actually a two sided coin. On one side, the tingling in my fingers is gone. I can eat small amounts of spicy food. I can use a brush full of toothpaste without burning my mouth. The little blisters in my mouth are healed. I guess this is what a cancer patient would call normal.
    On the other side of the coin, without the drugs in my body the cancer has a chance to grow. The doctor showed me a graph indicating the cancer is not moving at this time. I was also told this is a slow growing tumor. 
    However, life is good. On Fridays I go to the elementary school and read to my granddaughter's kindergarten class, which I thoroughly enjoy. As an added bonus I get to work one-on-one with two third grade boys who need a little help reading and staying focused. We are also working on being less disruptive in the class room.
    No one asked for the illness they have, yet it is what it is. My prayer to GOD daily is "if it be Your will, let the chemo add a few years to my life". I hope that is also your prayer. Not necessarily for me, but that God's will be done in all our lives.
    Thanks for your time, this time, till next time.  So long     WP

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that one of the two boys (now in fourth grade) has really grown up! I credit much of that to your influence. Thank you for being a godly, male influence in the life of a child who sees too much, knows too much, and had too little hope of something better before you came along to encourage him. I pray that the Lord will simply touch and heal your body one night as you sleep...for you to never, ever see the C word on a doctor's report again. I pray this not for me, not even for those boys that you do so much with and for, but all for the glory of the one who died for us, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Thank you for everything you do!
    ★¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ Melanie ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸★


    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    The Yellow Rocking Chair

    ReplyDelete