Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Treatments and Platelets and Pumps, oh my!

Written by Wayne:
On my last treatment right after Christmas, the doctor was concerned my platelets were too low since they were at 93,000. He went ahead and authorized a treatment for that day, December 27. He told me if my platelets  were not improved by the time of my next visit I would have to skip a week. However he did reduce one of the drugs by 20%. That should help with the tingling in my fingers and lips and my  aversion to cold.
I received a call at 8:30 Sunday night, January 9, that my Monday morning treatment was cancelled. Snow and ice took care of that. Had I not got the call, I am hard headed enough I would have been on my way to Carrollton on Monday morning. I thought I might have a  call on Tuesday or Wednesday to come in. I was ready to go regardless of the conditions of the road.
On Thursday I went to breakfast with my accountability  partners. When I got home, the treatment center had just called asking if I could come in. My first concern was, "Do I have to wear the pump from Thursday to Monday?" No! Someone would meet me on Saturday to remove the pump. {more on the removal later}
By now you know the drill…co-pay, vital signs, blood work. My weight is steady. white cells are good, blood is 12.2 and the platelets were 112,000 - all good and positive signs. 
The treatment room was almost empty while I was there. I was the only patient that was to get a pump. I have a port in my chest which is not removable, except by surgery. I watch the people that have needles in their hands or arms and see how difficult it is for them to move around. They are taped pretty heavily but I have seen them pulled out. That created a bit of a stir.
Wearing the pump for 46 hours changes your life for that period of time. It comes with a belt you can wear around your waist or over your shoulder. In the evenings, I take the belt off, put on a robe and drop the pump in a pocket. At night, I stretch the hose out as far as it will go. I then put it under a pillow to muffle it so I can sleep. When the pump activates, it makes a clicking sound. When all is still and quiet, after a while, it seem someone is beating on a drum.
It's 1:00 pm on Saturday, January 15, and we meet the lady {nursing supervisor Sue} and she takes the pump off. Flushing the pump ,disconnecting from the port. putting a band-aid on the port, giving me a shot takes 7 to 8 minutes and we are gone.
Now more on the pump removal: We received a letter from the insurance company. I now have to pay a co-pay of $35.00 to have the pump removed. This is a 10 minute process tops, with no doctor present. If I had the energy I would get back on my soapbox, but it would change nothing. Thanks for your prayers and concern. 
Wayne

1 comment:

  1. Just browsing the blogs from Villa Rica Ga and came across yours. My prayers are with you. May God bless you!

    ReplyDelete