Sunday, November 14, 2010

And now, a few words from our sponsor...

Posted by Wayne:

To start let me tell you what this blog is not.  It's not about me saying "why me?", "poor me", or "life's not fair".
 
As I have told every Sunday School class I've taught, all the good in our lives is from God, all the bad is from poor choices on someone's part.  In my case, if I had done what men my age should have done they would have caught my cancer in time.  So this is on me, not God. So, in the future, if a little bleakness creeps in, forgive me. I will try to keep it to a minimum.
 
Moving on to today's educational segment:  How do you start chemo?  In my case it started with outpatient surgery.  Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.  Check into the hospital at 6:30.  Put on a gown (darling little thing).  During surgery they inserted a port in my chest just below my left collar bone.  Looks like a ping pong ball.  Through this port they now draw blood and inject fluids.  No more needles in the arm.  With the port in place and soreness gone, you are not limited in what you can do or in your mobility.
 
I showed the port to my granddaughter, Grace.  She wasn't impressed and did not have much to say about it.  However, I go to her elementary school every Friday and read to her pre-k class and she wanted me to show the port to the class. I declined.
 
Next posting:  My first chemo treatment

3 comments:

  1. Wayne, I hope you can hear everyone laughing at your song selection. Yes, I'm sure I can find you a nice white belt and pair of shoes for you to do your best John Travolta dancing. When life throws you a curve ball......Dance Baby Dance. Know I'm thinking of you.

    Gina Donaldson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the song. I have always been a hugh Bee Gee's fan. Wayne, I am so glad that you did this. You hang in there. Praying daily for strength and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Staying Alive seems a fitting song to me! Praying for you and your family.
    "The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you,he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Zep. 3:17

    ReplyDelete